Some women nowadays find themselves loving a man who does not want to commit. He may want to date in an open ended fashion, not understanding that for a woman security in an intimate relationship is paramount in meeting this legitimate need.
So, the question you may be asking yourself may be whether to stay, hoping he comes to his senses, or if you should let him go so you can consider other prospects. The first thing I’d say to you that you need to do what is in your best interest.
While you don’t want to pressure a man into a commitment, you do need to honestly and openly discuss your needs and concerns with him. Follow the following tips:
- Ask yourself if you want to be with a guy who is not showing that he wants to move to the next level in the relationship. Dating for a year makes it a long term relationship and both of you could begin to discuss this possibility.
- Prepare yourself for having an honest conversation with him about your desires and dreams in this regard. Gather your thoughts and write them down. Rehearse what you are going to say in a succinct and clear matter.
- Schedule a time with your beloved and express yourself assertively.
- Engage him by asking him to respond to what you have expressed, and inquire as to whether he has considered making a commitment to you.
- If things go well, get more specific about the time frame to begin planning how to move forward.
- If he demonstrates being aversive to commitment, ask him what prevents him from wanting to do so. Some people have had negative experiences in relationship and have trust issues as a result.
- If he just wants to continue on with relationship as is, you need to think seriously about ending it. Investing more in a relationship that is not going in the direction you desire is, more than likely, a waste of your time and a heartbreak waiting to happen.
- Be smart and decisive. Don’t stay just because you’re afraid to be alone, or because you don’t believe you’ll find other prospects.